Is it possible to get pregnant with Endometriosis?

Published: March 2021


First things first, just what is Endometriosis?

Endometriosis can be an extremely painful condition that can affect women of any age. It can also be hereditary, meaning that if your mother or female relatives have endometriosis, you may be predisposed genetically to developing the condition.

Endometriosis is caused when endometrial tissue, similar to that which lines the womb, grows outside the uterus, around the fallopian tubes, ovaries and the colon. This is known as an endometrial implant. It is unusual for tissue to grow beyond the pelvic region but not unheard of.

Because of the impact the endometrial tissue may have on your reproductive organs, it has the potential to affect your ability to fall pregnant as it may have caused damage to your fallopian tubes and/or ovaries.

Rather frustratingly, no one knows what causes the condition and because symptoms can vary so much from female to female, it can be rather difficult to diagnose.


endometriosis pain

What are the main symptoms?

If you have endometriosis, you may recognise some of these symptoms:


  • Pain in your back or lower tummy which gets worse during your period
  • Bad period pains that prohibit you from doing your normal activities
  • Very heavy periods
  • Pain when urinating or defecating, particularly during your period
  • Feeling nauseous, suffering constipation or diarrhoea or blood in your urine at the time of menstruation
  • Pain during or after sex
  • Difficulty getting pregnant 


What treatment is available?

Understandably, if you suffer from endometriosis, you need quick relief from the symptoms, especially during your periods when the pain is at its worst.  Whilst there is no cure for endometriosis, the symptoms can be managed with medications that aim to make life living with the condition a little more bearable.

If your symptoms are really disrupting your quality of life, your doctor may recommend further medical or surgical interventions that may help reduce the symptoms and manage any potential complications. You may be offered more conventional treatments depending on the severity of your condition and surgery to remove the tissue may also be recommended if the medications don’t improve your symptoms.

In both instances, neither medications nor surgical treatment may necessarily improve your fertility.


The BIG Question - Can I get pregnant if I have Endometriosis?

Not all women with endometriosis have problems conceiving and 70% of women who suffer with endometriosis are likely to conceive naturally. In the remaining 30%, there are fertility treatment for endometriosis and support available to try to help them begin or grow their family, including IVF [In-Vitro Fertilisation]. 

If you are concerned about your ability to fall pregnant naturally, you should always discuss what is the best fertility treatment for endometriosis available specifically to you with your Fertility Consultant, as they can suggest a tailored treatment plan which is unique to your own personal experiences and unique medical history. Remember, everyone is different and so are your symptoms. A fertility specialist therefore, is the best placed individual to advise you on your chances of success and they should also be able to put you in direct contact with a professional fertility counsellor, if the need arises.


Need Advice?

If you would like further advice in relation to TTC with Endometriosis, we’re here to help. You can contact us through our website, call us or email us directly.


Buy Now Pay Later

Interest free payment plans. No credit checks! No applications! Select at checkout

Watch video

Weekly debit card payments over 6 weeks

Monthly credit card payments over 6 months

Working with